HOW LONG WILL A FEED TAKE?
Remember babies only have small tummies.
- Once attached to the breast your baby will start to suck quickly at first to get the milk to flow.
- As the milk flows the baby should take slow deep sucks, pausing to swallow and breathe every 2-3 sucks (after the first 2-3 days you will be able to hear the swallows)
- Near the end of feed the sucks are lighter and fluttering may be felt, before the baby stops sucking or let’s go of the nipple.
- A feed may take anything from 5 minutes to 40 minutes.
- Occasionally feeds may last longer, but if all feeds are longer than 40 minutes check positioning and attachment.
- Offer both breasts at each feed, but don’t worry if your baby does not always take both sides.