GRANDPARENTS AND OTHER FAMILY MEMBERS
Congratulations on the birth of your new family member. Your support is very important to the new family. Here are some tips to help you support them whilst allowing the mother, dad/partner and baby to get to know each other.
- Give the new family time to settle and get some rest soon after birth
- Offer practical help like shopping, ironing and general household chores
- Cook a meal and take to the family
- Most of all support the parents in their choices and allow them to learn to become parents, everybody is different
- Tell them they are doing a great job
- Support advice the health professionals provide even if you do not agree, advice changes with new information.